Updates – March 5, 2021
Over the coming weeks, construction activities will take place in the following areas:
- Cherry Creek State Park.
- Crews continue to work in the Park along Peoria Street. Activities will continue into summer 2021.
- Crews are working near the Cottonwood Creek Trail as early as next week. Sections of the trail will be closed beginning Monday, March 8 through early April. Please follow posted detours and directions from our crews. View a map of the trail closure.
- Near Boston Street and Chester Way. Crews will install the natural gas line in the grass median between these streets beginning, north of Mansfield Avenue, beginning this month.
- Union Avenue between Yosemite and Dayton streets. Crews will install the natural gas line across Union Avenue between Yosemite and Dayton streets beginning Saturday, March 13, during Cherry Creek Public School’s spring break to limit area inconveniences. Work will continue through Sunday, March 21. Union Avenue will remain open to traffic.
- Near Hampden Avenue between Akron and Yosemite streets. Crews are replacing a regulator station near this location. Testing procedures including flaring will occur. Flaring safely removes natural gas from natural gas infrastructure. It ignites and burns off natural gas and reduces the amount of natural gas released into the atmosphere. If you are outside, when flaring occurs:
- You may see a flame up to 10 feet in height at the work site.
- You may hear the sound of natural gas venting from the natural gas infrastructure.
- You may smell the mercaptan odorant, which produces a sulfur or “rotten egg” odor, although it may smell differently to you. If you smell it inside your home or business, please leave immediately. Once safely away, call 911, then Xcel Energy at 800-895-2999.
Please stay clear of work areas for your safety and the safety of our crews. Please note that construction schedules are subject to change.